Mankato YMCA Response to COVID-19
March 13, 2020
Dear Y Community,
The health and safety of Y members is our top priority, and we are reaching out with an update on the coronavirus disease (also referred to as COVID-19). The Mankato Family YMCA is actively monitoring the news and advisories concerning the virus.
At the YMCA, the safety and wellness of our members and participants is very important to us. We are constantly monitoring this evolving situation and following the guidelines of the CDC in all of our locations and work spaces to keep our members and staff safe.
• Expanding our cleaning protocols to ensure we use products that have been found to be effective against viruses.
• Ensuring there are ample hand sanitizers and wipes throughout our facilities for your use. Your partnership in this effort is welcome, and your continued use of the wipes that are provided to wipe down all equipment — mats, benches, free weights, cardio and strength machines, etc. — before and after you use them, is appreciated.
• Evaluating each of our group exercise classes and how they fit into the guidelines issued by the Minnesota Department of Health. Please look for further communication on classes and schedule changes.
• Regularly refining and updating plans in place for various situations and circumstances regarding the spread of the virus as new information becomes available, and learning as much as we can in order to make informed decisions.
As a reminder, it is always good practice for members, parents, and children, regardless of exposure risks, to adhere to the following preventative measures year-round:
• Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
• Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
• Stay home, or keep your child home if they are sick, until at least 24 hours after any signs of a fever have gone (without the use of fever-reducing medications) or with the clearance from a healthcare provider.
• Consult your healthcare provider if you are concerned for your child or family member who is showing symptoms of an illness.
• If sick, restrict activities outside your home as much as possible.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
For additional information and FAQs on the novel coronavirus, visit the CDC’s website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html
As the news media continues to report on the spread of the novel coronavirus in the United States, I want to assure you that our intent in sharing this at the Mankato Family YMCA is to provide current and accurate information about the situation, and to offer pragmatic steps we all can take to keep our ourselves, children, and members healthy and safe. In the meantime, please be assured that we continue to enforce stringent hygiene and sanitation standards at all of our service sites and remain committed as ever to the well-being of the communities we serve. We are all in this together.
Here’s to clean hands and open hearts,
Mankato Family YMCA