The YMCA Preschool fills a child’s day with opportunities to explore the wonders of their world, giving them experiences that help them grow and develop into confident, caring, happy individuals. Our specific goals and objectives are to provide developmentally appropriate opportunities and experiences for children in a safe, caring, and positive environment. We enable children to achieve their full potential in the areas of social/emotional, cognitive, physical,and language development.
Due to our expanding Preschool program we are looking for caring staff to help us carry out this awesome preschool experience for children in our community!
Position start date: October 2017
Schedule: Tuesday/Thursday afternoons – 3:00pm-5:30pm
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ JOB DUTIES:
Position Title: Preschool Assistant Teacher
Supervising Position: Preschool Director
Classificaton: Part Time
Date Updated: December 2016
The Preschool Assistant Teacher will support the teaching staff in implementing preschool programs. The incumbent will assist with carrying out the preschool mission and values by providing high quality preschool services to children and parents that focus on the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ JOB DUTIES:
- Assists the lead teacher in implementing curriculum within the established guidelines.
- Assists in supervising the children, classroom, and all activities.
- Assists with daily observations and child evaluations.
- Assists with maintaining the preschool room and equipment
- Contributes to activity preparation and clean up and room maintenance.
- Attends and participates in program activities, staff meetings , and staff trainings.
- Assists with maintaining required program records.
- Meet Minnesota DHS Rule 3 Assistant Teacher qualifications, including yearly in service requirements (three of the nine qualifications shown below – only need to meet one qualifications to be eligible for hire):
- High School Diploma/GED & 2080 hours as an Aide or Student Intern & 12 quarter credits
- 2 years full-time postsecondary ed & 1040 hours as an Aid or Student Intern & 9 quarter credits
- Baccalaureate degree in any field from accredited college or university & 9 quarter credits
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications, Child Abuse prevention training, and Shaken Baby Certificate (YMCA will provide this training upon hire).
- Excellent interpersonal communicaton skills.
- A commitment to working with children in a developmental setting and a sincere desire to have a meaningful effect on their lives.
- Ability to work with children one-on-one or in small groups without assistance from the Lead Teacher.
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
Ability to plan, lead and participate in activities. The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk or hear. During gym and swim activities employees are required to run, throw, kick, and swim. The employee is occasionally required to sit in low chairs as well as on the floor to interact with the children. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds.