The Mankato Family YMCA is currently looking for a caring, compassionate, self-motivated and organized individual to manage a case list of matches for a youth mentoring program. Job duties include case management and other various tasks. 10-15 hours a week with a flexible schedule – some day hours required.
Job Title: Brother/Sister Program Advocate
Reports to: Director of Social Responsibility
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Part-time) (10-15 hours a week-flexible)
Date updated: January 2019
Within this position lies the responsibility to recruit, assist in the screening process, match, manage, support, document, and evaluate families and volunteers in the YMCA Brother/Sister Program. Reports directly to the YMCA Director of Social Responsibility and works cooperatively with other department staff. Must demonstrate and enforce the core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and faith.
- Assist in the recruitment of potential mentors through various community avenues
- Provide one-to-one placement for youth in the program.
- Maintain communication with family of mentee.
- Oversee and document family intake procedures and interviews.
- Document volunteer intake procedures and help with initial paperwork, as needed.
- Facilitate initial mentor training and again after two months after being matched.
- Promote and participate in YMCA activities, as requested, including the volunteer appreciation events.
- Maintain confidential case file system for families and volunteers on a monthly basis.
- Support families and volunteers through monthly contacts and documentation.
- Record contacts on the call list and in the database system monthly.
- Attend a monthly program group activity three times a year.
- Assist the Program Director in reporting activities to the Advisory Board, United Way, and other sponsoring agencies.
- May be assigned additional tasks required for this position, including, but not limited to, School Based Mentoring, Group Mentoring, Life Experience Interviews, etc.
- Assist in the development, promotion, implementation, and evaluation of the program.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Social Responsibility.
- Passionate about helping youth get connected to positive role models.
- Experience and proven skills working with youth.
- Ability to speak in front of a group to promote mentorship
- CPR, First Aid AED certifications must be completed within 60 days of hire (YMCA provided).
- Experience and proven skills in working with volunteers.
- High degree of tact and knowledge of working with a diversity of people, businesses, and organizations.
- Ability to provide support, education, and structure to families and volunteers.
- Ability to document confidential information in an accurate, non-partisan manner.
- Ability to follow multiple procedures and complete work in a professional, accurate, and timely manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate in a positive manner and maintain professional relationships with families, volunteers, and other people connected to the program.
- Is a self-starter and has the ability to work both independently and in a teamwork setting.
Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position.